- More than four children die every day as a result of child abuse. 1
- It is estimated that between 50-60% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates. 3
- Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4. 1
- More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way. 4
- Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse. 5
- In at least one study, about 80% of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder. 13
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2008 is $124 billion. 6
- Children who experience child abuse & neglect are about 9 times more likely to become involved in criminal activity. 5
- Abused children are 25% more likely to experience teen pregnancy. 5
- Abused teens are more likely to engage in sexual risk taking, putting them at greater risk for STDs. 5
- In one study, children whose parents abuse alcohol and other drugs were three times more likely to be abused and more than four times more likely to be neglected than children from non-abusing families. 11
- As many as two-thirds of the people in treatment for drug abuse reported being abused or neglected as children. 9
- More than a third of adolescents with a report of abuse or neglect will have a substance use disorder before their 18th birthday, three times as likely as those without a report of abuse or neglect. 12
* We feel the children look up to entertainers, artists, and consider them as role models and offer inspiration in positive aspects.
*We feel the children and the innocent need something to look forward; to when their lives have been so tragic, and we wish to offer them opportunity, and therapeutic light on this day of blessing to shine that light in their eyes and offer hope to change their life.